Hansen’s Tree Service was happy to help the St. Louis area celebrate our planet and promote green living during the St. Louis Earth Day Festival over the weekend of April 22-23 – the second largest Earth Day celebration in the country.
The two-day event, which took place on the Muny Grounds in Forest Park, brought together local businesses and the communities they serve to help educate and promote a healthy, sustainable future.
Hansen’s sponsored a booth in the Kid’s Corner, which offered family-friendly entertainment and education. Children were offered a variety of activities to keep them busy and help them learn about sustainable living. These included:
- Flower planting giveaways – over the course of the weekend, we gave away more than 1,500 annuals that kids planted in Hansen’s Certified Organic Super Soil, a 70 percent top soil and 30 percent organic compost combination.
- Tree climbing demonstrations – Hansen’s own Thomas Paine, an ISA Certified Arborist and technical tree climber, spent the weekend swinging from the trees, showing the children how our tree care specialists use all ropes and no spikes to avoid damaging trees during pruning.
- Organic Emerald Ash Borer treatment – Our certified arborists led a discussion on the threat invasive Emerald Ash Borer beetles pose to local trees, as well as the organic treatment methods we use to combat them.
- Free giveaways – We held a free drawing that included a $100 gift certificate for tree service and three yards of Hansen’s Organic Mulch.
- Story time – Hansen’s Master Arborist Skip Kincaid offered a reading of the children’s classic, “The Giving Tree.”
- Treecycling education – Children were educated on the environmental benefits of treecycling, the process used by Hansen’s to recycle yard waste into usable mulch and compost.
- Expert tree care advice – ISA Certified Arborists were busy answering tree care questions at our “ask the expert” table.
- Treemendous photo booth – Happy tree cutouts and props were available all weekend offering parents and kids of all ages the chance to take fun pictures.
Hansen’s is proud to partner with community organizers for celebrations like the Earth Day festival. If you were unable to catch us last month, be sure to mark your calendars for our next event, the Kirkwood Greentree Festival September 15-17!